Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If registration is required or recommended, click the 'Register Now' button to start the process.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
LOCKELAND DESIGN CENTER HYBRID CHESS CLUB REGISTRATION
LOCKELAND DESIGN CENTER HYBRID CHESS CLUB
Spring Semester 2021
Coach Gainer Phay will lead a 1-hour synchronized ZOOM club each Tuesday from 4:00 PM until 5:00 PM. Limit 16 students in each group. The ZOOM will begin at 3:55 PM to give everyone 5-minutes to log on.
Start Date: Tuesday, January 12th and ending Tuesday, April 27th
(no chess during Spring Break) 15 sessions total.
If we are allowed to return to campus, then this registration with also cover after-school chess each Tuesday from 3:30 PM to 4:30 PM.
- Each Nashville Chess Center (NCC) Program will provide 1-hour of synchronized chess club with qualified and trained NCC Instructors each week
- Each synchronized class will begin with roll call, a 10-15-minute classroom style lesson on Zoom, utilizing an analysis board on chess.com or chesskid.com
- Each synchronized class will consist of 45-50 minutes of practice or play time amongst the club members as the coach observed each online – The coach may also play against students and provide more individualized attention during this period
- Each student registered for the NCC program shall receive a ChessKid.com Gold Membership ($49 per year) as part of the registration fees at to extra cost
- ChessKid.com has very well-established protective measures to keep chess kids online safe
- If at any point, the NCC is welcome by a school to resume on campus learning, we can still utilize the virtual community as a tool, but the main program of synchronized learning would revert or convert to in person
- ChessKid also has a complete curriculum of asynchronous learning that each scholar can utilize and that the coach of each respective program will use to give online assignments
- Programs are child appropriate and highly interactive
- Chess is a powerful educational tool that has shown to accelerate the cognitive development of scholars in math, science and reading
- Chess is a power “distractor” – even in a virtual setting, chess will do a lot to help Middle-Tennessee students’ minds not constantly worry about this difficult situation they are learning to adapt to
- Chess will create a sense of community and identity for our students missing their friends and their other sports teams
- In a time where parents are having to be told about “what can we no longer offer students;” Chess is an additive – something we can fully provide
Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 4:00 PM until Tuesday, April 27, 2021
Payment In Full In Advance Only