Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
LOCKELAND DESIGN CENTER HYBRID CHESS CLUB REGISTRATION (ROOKS)
Tuesday, September 1, 2020, 4:00 PM
Registration is closed - Event is full
Payment In Full In Advance Only
LOCKELAND DESIGN CENTER After-School Club (ROOKS)
A NCC Instructor (most likely Coach Gainer Phay will return) will lead a 1-hour synchronized ZOOM club each Tuesday from 4:00 PM until 5:00 PM. Limit 16 students in each group. The ZOOM will begin at 3:55 PM to give everyone 5-minutes to log on.
Start Date: Tuesday, September 1st and ending Tuesday, December 15th
(no chess during Fall Break or Thanksgiving) 15 sessions total.
We will only organize the 1st semester for now - in the hopes we will be back on campus in January at the latest.
If we are allowed to return to campus, then this registration with also cover after-school chess each Thursday from 3:30 PM to 4:30 PM.
- Each Nashville Chess Center (NCC) Program will provide 1-hour of synchronized chess club with qualified and trained NCC Instructors each week
- Each synchronized class will begin with roll call, a 10-15-minute classroom style lesson on Zoom, utilizing an analysis board on chess.com or chesskid.com
- Each synchronized class will consist of 45-50 minutes of practice or play time amongst the club members as the coach observed each online – The coach may also play against students and provide more individualized attention during this period
- Each synchronized lesson will be created in the form of a downloadable PDF that will be available on the NCC website for future download
- Each student registered for the NCC program shall receive a ChessKid.com Gold Membership ($49 per year) as part of the registration fees or cost to the school
- ChessKid.com has very well-established protective measures to keep chess kids online safe
- A ChessKid group will be created for each school
- Each School will also be added to larger groups – Such as system-wide Metro Nashville Public Schools, Middle-Tennessee Private Schools, then one large over Middle-Tennessee Group
- This will allow for school wide events, area events, system wide events and events for kids under our entire virtual umbrella
- If at any point, the NCC is welcome by a school to resume on campus learning, we can still utilize the virtual community as a tool, but the main program of synchronized learning would revert or convert to in person
- ChessKid also has a complete curriculum of asynchronous learning that each scholar can utilize and that the coach of each respective program will use to give online assignments
- Programs are child appropriate and highly interactive
- Chess is a powerful educational tool that has shown to accelerate the cognitive development of scholars in math, science and reading
- Chess is a power “distractor” – even in a virtual setting, chess will do a lot to help Middle-Tennessee students’ minds not constantly worry about this difficult situation they are learning to adapt to
- Chess will create a sense of community and identity for our students missing their friends and their other sports teams
- In a time where parents are having to be told about “what can we no longer offer students;” Chess is an additive – something we can fully provide